Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 18: Summit and Navigating Obstacles on Campus

 Yesterday was  another fun  day.
 I was up before parc time.  after that,I groomed Joyce and did obedience.
 For Breakfast I had  scrambled eggs,muffin,,juce and coffee. 
  I then, did my laundry.  That's  always a difficult task for me.  Its not doing the actual  laundry, but rather carrying  the bag.  it  takes a lot of energy due to my injury but I managed. I was  done soon before  my first  trip out
  Kristin and I took the train from Morristown to Summit.  The train was late due to work on one of the tracks.
 It was about  a  20 minute ride to Summit and I must say,it wasn't a very smooth trip there.   It would suddenly stop and go and for me, I thought it was going to derail.  Joyce,thought  nothing of it.
 One minute I'd be smiling and the next minutes Had this freaked look on my face.  Kristin said,I wouldn't make it  in the dog world,at least as a  guide dog. I'd would be rejected.  She told me this before yesterday.    I am somewhat shy and sudden sounds  or touch    startle me a lot of the time,especially sounds. 
once we got  to the summit station we walked awhile,crossing various types of crossings,some more complex than others. 
While walking Kristin some namesof establishments that sounded interesting interesting or caught our funny bone. Some were:  Urban paws,Organic Dry Cleaning,Lost Sock (a laundry mat) and Juice Caboose.   
We went to a place called Doria's subs and Pizza for lunch courtesy of the Seeing Eye. 
 The pizza sounded good. I got a couple slices of pepperoni and garlic and Kristin had Chicken  parmesan  pizza. 
They had Italian music,(mood music) while you ate.lol
After  that,we went to the  Post Office and then worked more crossings before heading back to the van.
They were putting mulch in near were the van was parked and I must say,it stuck big time,Like a suer .(I had my nose covered,it was disgusting!,lol)
We returned to campus,about 1;30.   
 
I came back and took a nap,well,tried to ,but I  got calls. (no worries, from Darrell and Jeff so certainly didn't mind )
In the afternoon we stayed on property.  but,we did work Joyce. we  got to explore areas that most students don't go, areas that are off limits to most. 
we were trying to simulate the back of the house at Hyatt .  housekeeping and Engineering at work,have lots of stuff in the halls at times and Ihave had to navigate it with Douglas. he did a great job.  he would stop for the housekeeping carts,like it was a traffic check on the street. 
we went to the laundry areas and where they keep all  supplies for the bedrooms here as well as the Kennels
 I was  also hoping to stop in at the Curves because I Workout at one near me in Tempe. But Kristin wasn't sure where  one was located here in Morristown.
So, we took Joyce down to the fitness room here  in the basement.   Kristin lifted weights roe the treadmill. Joyce was  excited. We think her Trainer Jim,took her here and to other Gyms in town. :) She did great  getting me around the obstacles. 
later,I stopped  by  Pauline's office to checkout. I picked up my Seeing Eye ID Card and got my dog equipment. 
For dinner   had the pork chops,a garden salad and applesauce.
We had a lecture.  This one was on Dog Attacks.  They gave  Stats on how  many dog guides were reported to be attacked,how to handle oneself in these situations and gave good suggestions,like contacting animal control when one gets home as well as carrying cell phone. it was a difficult lecture for some of us,like me. 
Relaxed for the rest of the night and began packing to leave for home Thursday morning.  More on day 19.  Take care.
BTW, to answer,your question Keri, the dog massage is to relax the dog after along day,to continue the bonding process and to see if there  are ticks,bumps or anything on the dog.
 It is much like  the massages  that therapist use on us Humans.  they use circular strokes or kneed the muscle and use other techniques to massage all areas of the dog.  They even play soothing music,like they do for us,that they often play in spa's. 
 I will  compose day  19 soon and will be finally up to speed.  Take care.
 
 

No comments: