Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Maple Avenue And Clicker Training

 My day is winding down but not quite over.  I am waiting  for Kristin,my instructor to work on obedience  with Joyce and me. I am very tired so I thought I'd write the post sooner than later so  not to be up late tonight.
I got just a few hours of sleep and woke up at 5 this morning ,30 minutes prior to the instructors making the announcement over the intercom.
We fed and took the dogs out and  since I was already dressed for the day, I chatted with Darrell and played on the computer.
Breakfast was at 7 and as usual was very good. (Breakfast is my favorite meal)  I had the hot plate: scrambled eggs with cheese,bagel with cream cheese and fruit.  I also had coffee and apple juice.  They  also had cereal and yogurt  with granola.
By 8 we were all out heading in the vans to the training center.  I hung out with Jeff and other students while others were  out working their dogs on Maple Avenue. We did this route yesterday.
However, today, Kristin was not  connected to us.  The morning route did not begin too well.  We quickly realized that I needed a shorter harness handle because my arm wasn't positioned properly. We had to work on form first then increase speed later. 
After a few blocks,I had my arm positioned where it needed to be,back,more on my hip and we were walking faster.
 Right before our afternoon trip into Morristown, I sent a group e -mail to two of my managers and to a few others at work.  my Boss's replied.   They are excited to meet Joyce,happy training is going well and  a bit surprised how busy I am and what they do here at the Seeing eye.
Lunch was at noon and I had the cold plate,roastbeef sandwich,chips and pickle. I also had lemonade and fresh fruit. They also had enchilada's for lunch and some kind of  dessert but didn't get it.
 We made  another trip out and practice proper technique  on Maple Avenue.  The afternoon was better in some ways. I had a shorter harness handle witch made a big difference for short people like me .
It seems the first few blocks are not as smooth and flowing as the rest of the mile route. But, after a   few blocks,things fell into place,we began to read each other's body language,feel her pull in harness and I was able to interpret what to do next as the handler.  We worked hard today,tired.
We got back to campus in time to park and feed the dogs. Right before dinner Kristin took Joyce to the Vet.  She has been coughing today and has a  respiratory infection.  She is  on an antibiotic. AWE,poor little girl.!  I was dogless,childless for about  30 minutes,felt strange, she has been at my side for  2 days. 
Dinner was pretty good,not as good as it usually is. They had flounder sautéed in a butter,garlic sauce,asparagus and coconut cake. I had this and coffee. They also had  garden salad and  fresh fruit.
 After dinner I went back to my room  ,checked e-mail and began this post.
 At 6;30 we had a lecture on clicker,the importance of targeting an object that is difficult to find,using conditioning, showing object and praising at same time,reinforcing with food.  It is interesting and an excellent tool.
We continued  by practicing clicker in our rooms. later,Joyce and me had our first obedience lesson.
Then, Jeff and I went down to groom our dogs.  She likes it and looks very pretty.
here I am,everything is done for the night.  Once I complete this,I am going to take a shower and bedtime for this Jersey gal,wicked tired.
From what I understand only one trip into town  tomorrow and we will attend multiple lectures. I am sure it will be another  fun,filled day,very productive. Just got a phone call from Darrell.  I was asking him  about his day.   I told him to check out my blog.   ( check Jeff's too,I am sure he will have lots to say and his blog is better than mine )
After sending this,Heading to bed.  I actually think I will be in bed before 10 tonight,amazing!.    Joyce whimpered, a lot during the night,hope she will sleep through?? hope you all are enjoying  these  posts? Comments,questions welcome.:) If you don't like my posts,feedback is welcome too. Take care and till tomorrow....

1 comment:

Ron Graham said...

Karen, I'm enjoying reading about your experiences. I think its neat that you and Jeff are in the same class, given your and Darrel's friendship with he and Carrie. That's great that this worked for you all.

Its been six years since I was there training with my second dog, and I appreciate the updates about the changes that have been implemented.

Keep up the great work!