Monday, April 26, 2010

Joice was,the Choice

Today  is April 26,day 3 of training at the Seeing Eye.  We woke at 6 for breakfast.  We were told it was another 50 some degree/rainy day.   I  got a slow start because I had a headache . Yet,I was ready in time to go down to the dining room for Breakfast.
The kitchen staff  had another great selection for us all. I had the  hot plate,French Toast,sausage and fruit. I also had coffee and orange juice. They offered cereal and yogurt with granola.
just like yesterday,we left the campus around 7;45 and  drove a few minutes to the lounge. I sat there for awhile. First,I attempted to get the mp3 they gave us working so I could listen to all the informative lectures on it.  Ken,my classmate was sitting  next to me so he was able to assist me. I did get it working and I began to listen,skim through all the files. it seems like they have a lot of valuable material on there as well as  it was nice to hear voices of the past,trainers whom I have known over the last 22 years.
 I didn't listen long to the lectures because a new Student had sat down near me (think her name is Savanna) and she is a first time dog guide user. Both myself and another Student,Dawn,were telling her what it was like as a first timer and giving  her  support.
Later while still at the lounge ,Michelle came in and I reintroduced myself. She is one of the staff here and is a great  person,a long time Seeing Eye graduate and a Councilor.
Also at the lounge,another Staff person made an appearance .Shannon was there making coffee for folks. She trained my Chanel back in 1997 and we got to catch up.  That made my day.
I had a great juno walk again this morning.  We walked part of the maple Avenue route and I felt very comfortable.
Once our group returned to the campus I played a little on the computer and made some phone calls.
We had a meeting with Jim Kutch and Michelle up in the common lounge at 11 while all the instructors were in their own meting  discussing matches for each of us.
Jim  gave  us all a History of the Seeing Eye and told  us his story. So,did Michelle.  They told us about some changes in their program such as the use of the clicker training .  I plan on attending this meeting later in the week.  this is optional but I'd like to participate,heard  lot of good things about this  additional tool of training the dogs.
 Lunch  went quickly today. Everyone wanted to get back to their rooms so they could get their dogs. They served too types of sandwiches; the   turkey,bacon,lettace and tomato sandwich  or ham. I had the TBLT as well as the creamy chicken soup,not salad today. I  declined on the  offer of banana cream pie,though,it sounded delicious. I had things to do and also wanted to meet my  little girl.
Around 1;15,Kristin called me into the lounge. I brought the ds50  to record( hope I recorded  the introduction between myself and my new dog??:)
 I had the ds 50 recording as Kristin introduced me to my new pup.
Her name is Joyce.  We will find out later in the week, more info on her, Birthday,weight and so forth. I was Given a yellow Lab/Cross ( Gold-adores,I call them :).  She is more like a Lab but has some golden.  From what am told,she looks like a Carmel color,that the top layers of her coat is a light yellow and below,a darker.  imagine,a creamy,light brown color.  I have also been told she has dark eyes.(darker than my chestnut brown eyes). Her fur is more coarse  softer than a gulden's.
She is very soft,cuddly and playful.
we went back to our room to bond and get to know one another.  We sat on the floor and  played.
She kept licking me,giving me kisses and rolling over,wanting tummy rubbed.
She also was whining some.   I tried to calm her and gave her lots of attention.
An  hour or solater, Kristin had me heel her down to the door that leads out to the beautiful leisure path. I haven't walked that  path in years.it was raining out and I got pretty soaked  ,so did Joyce.
She did a great job,guiding well most of the time. I may have to switch harness's,get an offset one. At this point,she saw a squirm so she didn't have  her attention on working.  Though,very quickly she refocused on her job and we did fine.
After our first short walk,went back to the room and relax. I kind of took a nap and  bonded with Joyce.
At dinner,each instructor assisted us to the dining  Hall . We are heeling the dogs in the House till  we become more comfortable.
once I got Joyce situated  under the table and she settled down,I began to eat. Joyce.  popped her head up a couple times.
Tonight they had pork with potatoes and the cold plate was a salad and something for the dessert I don't like. I had the  pork and potatoes,very good. I also had fresh fruit and coffee.
After dinner,Chatted with Jeff, the nurse,Kristin   and played on the computer.
at 7;15,our class went  down to the grooming room. We had a lecture in grooming  as well as how to put on the gentle leader. we groomed the dogs as well and Joyce loved it.
 next,I had Kristin,the nurse,take pictures of Joyce on my cell phone. We also had Jeff's help. Jeff and Darrell are going to help me send the attachments of the 3 pics  we took of Joyce and me. 
I also called Darrell and Mom too. Both were excited and very happy for me. 
By then,it was getting late. I showered and now,here I am.   Tomorrow,we get up at 5;30.
We will  continue the Maple Avenue route and will be the first time, we will be working as a team in Morristown.  I am not sure what else they have planned. I also herd after tomorrow it will not rain much. I hope so.
well,Its very late,midnight here . I need to get  to bed. Take care and I will send another update  tomorrow. Joyce is on her bed chain,asleep.what a cutie! Till  next time,Take care.
 

No comments: