Sunday, April 25, 2010

Second Day,More assessments,Juno Walks,Puppy interaction and meetings

Our second day has come and gone and I am back in my room just relaxing after another long day. I need to get a good night sleep,haven't been sleeping well since I left Phoenix. 
Anyway, After posting my first entry to the blog,one of the instructors announced that it was time to wake up and I began to get ready for my day.
Breakfast,like all meals was very good. They always offer a hot plate and a cold one,at least 2 or 3 options.
I chose the  hot plate.  It was cheese omelet,English muffin and fruit. I also had a glass of orange juice and of course, always coffee,a couple cups of coffee,not coffee in my creamer lol.  . :)  They alsohad cereal and yogurt with gronola. 
 
Before 8 we were in rain gear and drove to the new training lounge in town. 
It was pouring and about 50 degrees,not cold,just very wet.
Right after I arrived,I was the first one in my class to go out for my  third Juno walk. Kristin,my instructor gave me a  poncho to wear over my coat to keep me dryer.  it was abit big and long for me but it certainly helped.
She said,I looked like a mushroom.:) lol maybe,I should broadcast on mushroom.com?  lol,A few blind folks I know already broadcast on that station or will be soon. Honestly,I haven't even listened.
I now,digress,sorry,long day.  As i was saying,I was first out in the rain and I enjoyed the walk despite the weather .
As retrains,there are things that one forgets to do or one gets into bad habits when it comes to body language and command the dog to lead.Its real important with these young pups.
I basically stayed at my same pace as yesterday it felt more comfortable as  we crossed streets.
once I returned,I tried to surf the radio stations on my walk-man that I took along on the trip but for some reason I couldn't get anything. the reception was lousy,couldn't get PLJ or KRC,stations that I had listen ages ago when I lived here in Jersey.
So,I moved tables and sat with several students sitting across the way.
Today I am starting to get to    know students and instructors on a personal/professional level.its great!
 
Since we only have4 in our group,we got back to campus first.  Shortly after,we had a  fire drill. 
Then,I grabbed  some coffee and Everyone went to our next meeting. We met with the class supervisor,Tom.  There were numerous things we discussed one of wich  was the importance  of having pack leaders and and also discussed traffic checks as well.
Right after all of us students  met with tom,we had lunch.
I was going to have the cold plate,Salad but I wasn't feeling adventurous,didn't want Russian dressing.
SO,I had the hot plate: Steak,potatoes and vegetables. For dessert,they had oatmeal raisin cookie or fruit. I had  it and lemonade,no coffee,surprise,surprised?
 
After lunch,I chatted with Darrell,checking with him.
Then, it was time to go  play with pups. These dogs were in the kennels,restless,and very anxious.Some may be matched with those of us in this class or not. but,it was very fun to play with them,getting to know and interact with them for a little while.
 
The first dog,I was given was a male Shepard. he whined a lot and was curious as to what was happening right outside of the men's lounge where we sat.
He was very cute  despite his whining and seeming nervous.
The second dog I played was was a male golden. He was much calmer and softer. Though,he too,at times would not n'tsit and seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else.
The last  pup,my instructor gave me   was female Cross,a lab/golden. I am told,she looks more black then a cream or golden color.her fur was more coarse then a Gulden's.
I was not sure how she would respond to me because,she gave  the others trouble:very restless,hyper,panting and would not mind.
However, soon after I had her,she calmed  down.I had her sit,stroked her ears and  spoke to her in a real soothing voice. All three dogs but especially her ,was the most friendly and warm  to me,giving me kisses and rolling her back,wanting to have a belly rub.:) they are all so very cute.:)
 
after  this activity,we had some down time. it was  then,I  took the opportunity to get a nap before dinner. I actually did feel better.
Once again,the kitchen staff made us an exceptional meal. it was hard deciding  ,on what to eat,both plates sounded good. they had chicken salad and Penne Pasta with vodka sauce. I had to have this! It was very good. I also had a garden salad and had fresh fruitfordessert,not the sponge cake that most had.Coffee was an necessity since I just woken from a nap and we were going to have a meeting after dinner.
Tonight's meeting was about  what to expect from tomorrow. Tomorrow is the big day,the day we get our dogs. we need to giv our dogs  our undivided attention and begin the bonding process.
So, though,i would love to call some of you or blog/tweet about my new dog, I will have to refrain from it alittle while.
Just  now,My instructor knocked on my door to give me my mutt matt and the tie down. we were  chatting briefly about tomorrow. I mentioned,how fun it was  interacting with all three dogs today.  My Instructor  said I will be very happy with my dog and all she said I will love her and be very happy. then,she left :)
So, my prediction,could be right,after all. My women's intuition,told me that I'd  get a female black Lab. well,I got the gender correct. So,we shall see.:)
 Anyhoo, its an exciting day tomorrow and  in the near future.Again, tomorrow and Tuesday,it will rain. so,I am prepared,to walk in the rain,wear the poncho and look like a mushroom.:) lol
 after the meeting,most stayed for the wine and cheese party. here,I chose instead.
I want to get a good night sleep,for the big Day.
I also will be checking in with Darrell and will try and refresh my memory on how to use the ds 50. I want to be able to record  Kristin introducing me to my little girl.this is very exciting,can't wait! :)
 well, have things to do before bed. you all take care and make sure to visit  my corner,to get more details on how this journey is going. Have a good night.

No comments: