Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 5: Maple Avenue,Traffic and Booties

Today is day 5.   It was not very busy,kind of a light day compared to all the activity on other days.
Breakfast was at the usual time,7, and was pretty good.  I had the hot plate: waffles,ham and fruit. I also had orange Juice and coffee.  They also had assorted cereals and yogurt with granola . Right after Breakfast we all headed  to the lounge.  We only had one trip into town today.  while my classmates were working their dogs on the maple Avenue route,I sat in the lounge and relax.
Lucas Franck was there to work with us on clicker training. His lecture on clicker last night was  both informative and funny,so was,  the sound bites from yesterdays lecture on Dog handling and dog fears:). 
Anyway, we went into a room downstairs and I  had a chance to improve my accuracy and speed using  the clicker in specific situations.  For the most part,I was right on target when, Joyce,hit  the Bell with her nose,I was in that one second range and clicked immediately,then gave  her food as a reward.  We made a minor adaptation due to my arm injury. Instead of having the  pouch of food on  the back of my right hip,its on the left and the clicker,is in my right hand ,not  my left . I am unable to place the bag on my right hip and grab kibble with my right hand. I  lack the ability,range to bring my arm behind me.
I  can tell this is a very effective  tool and another way to pattern the dog's brain to locate object and find things quickly.   
Soon after,it was my turn to go on the route.  The first few blocks ,I feel awkward,clumsy and my legs feel like jelly.  I had an excellent trip,much better than yesterday.
I am much more in tune with what Joyce is doing and she me. I recognize when I am not holding the harness properly,when I hear the harness jingle ,that I am not holding  it back and giving the proper tension so she can  pull and lead me.
Second, I did over shot a few curbs and we corrected them.   Overall,we walked more gracefully as a team,walking faster and improved communication.
Despite it being cool,about 45 degrees out,and having rosy cheeks,I felt great after
 
once we returned back to campus I went down to the grooming  room .   Joyce really enjoys it
For lunch they had grilled cheese or chicken salad sandwich which I had or one could get the salad plate.  They also had  fresh fruit which I did . they also served carrot cake . I gave Darrell a call before he head to class,thinking,hoping,I'd be in bed by the time he got home from class. 
 after lunch we all met in the lounge for a lecture on traffic.  They   told us a little on how they train the dogs to successfully do traffic checks,protect us from being hit by a car. They teach the dogs to respect but also to be somewhat fearful of cars,enough to avoid them but  they don't want them to fear them  so much that they don't want to be working on the street.
They pattern them  through correction,demonstration,repetition and praise.   They use this approach in  all areas of training,including clicker .
After the  afternoon lecture,they had a tutorial in the use of the laundry machines .it was helpful and since My family isn't here in Jersey anymore,I will have to do my own laundry.
I  took a short nap,but was woken up by a call from Jeff,followed by my instructor knocking on my door to give me  Joyce's booties.
She had me put them on her feet and we proceeded out into the hall. She had me heel her and see how she did  walking with the booties. She  galloped like a pony like all my dogs.
Kristin and I will work with Joyce on getting her comfortable wearing the boots  as well as using a crate. I really don't want her to have  separation anxiety.
 It was a very relaxing afternoon,began this post hours ago,hoping to be already done but I  have been interrupted by activities here,phone calls and meals.
Dinner was  delicious.  I had the hot plate,Steak,baked potato with sourcream and spinach.  They also had garden salad with cottage cheese,fresh fruit and apple pie for dessert. 
Tonight I chatted with Keri for  I think  an hour. she was  telling me about her week and I,I,mine .  She thinks its neat that Jeff and I are here together getting our dogs and that we  blog  about similar things but also different ones too.yes,it is great,having you in class Jeff. I am meeting and getting to know folks here in class but its hard for me to strike up conversations with strangers.  I am shy and its not easy for me. so,its nice having  family here experiencing training with me.
 After I  talked with Keri for awhile,my old high school friend Mary Anne called. She lives here,about 30 minutes from the Seeing Eye. I will see her Saturday afternoon. I can't wait! I haven't seen her since our Wedding  in June of 06. she too,is a close,dear friend whom is more like a sister .:)
well,its going on 9;30,I need to edit  this and take a shower and go to bed. I have been staying up way too late.
Tomorrow we are starting a new route,the South  Street route. We will do this route tomorrow and Friday,working on improving ur form,technique and communication with our dogs. Then,Saturday we will do a  solo.
Take care and hope you all are enjoying reading about our happenings here and maybe learning more about the Seeing Eye and what it is like for us as blind folks to  train but also for the  dogs.
 Until tomorrow.
 
 
 

No comments: