Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Petwarmers: City Slicker

CITY SLICKER
by Carol J. Douglas

This is a letter from a "City Cat" to his "Country Cat" brothers
and sisters:

My dear brothers and sisters,
A year has passed since I was plucked from our litter in the
country and taken to the city to live. I feel this is a good time to
write to you and let you know what life is like here.
The most astonishing discovery I've made since moving here is
that the city mice are so different from the ones in the country.
For one thing, they all have bells inside! Not only that, but they
just lay on the floor waiting for me to pounce on them instead of
scampering away! I carry them in my mouth and bat them around just
like the little balls I find on the floor (also with those fabulous
bells inside). Such great fun!
Another great perk is that the people who adopted me are at my
beck and call. I only have to rub their legs and look at them
beseechingly and voila, I get a delicious treat! And if I don't like
the food they give me for my main meal, I simply sniff it and walk
away. A short time later they will fill my bowl with something more
to my liking.
These wonderful people have thought of everything.
For my entertainment they have provided me with a caged bird to
watch as well as many windows to enjoy the comings and goings of
other birds. Also, there is a large container filled with water and
swimming fish for my viewing pleasure. Some day I plan to put my paw
inside and grab a fish.
However, I spend the majority of my day napping. I have my
choice of beds all over the house. If I choose a chair that a person
was going to sit in, he or she will simply find another, albeit, a
more uncomfortable one. Sometimes I take pity on them and let them
have the chair while I graciously cuddle in their lap all the while
being stroked. I let them know I am pleased by purring contentedly.
When it is time to retire for the night, I have first choice of
the area on the bed that I find most comfortable. The people adjust
themselves around me. I let them sleep while I sleep. When I awaken
and want my breakfast, I stretch lazily and see if they are awake.
If they haven't awoken, I clean myself. And if they are still not
awake I gently walk around their heads. If I am still unsuccessful,
a few loud meows and pounces always works.
Ah, life is good here in the city.
Come and visit anytime. Must go and inspect my dinner!
Best Regards, Your city brother

-- Carol J. Douglas <carol_jean_douglas at yahoo.com>

___________________________________________
Carol lives in Dublin, Ohio with her husband, Jeff and their two
children, Justin and Emelia, and two city cats, Tux and Ferrari.
Carol has had several children's poems published as well as a romance
story in Woman's World Magazine. Her new book for children, Miss
Millie Pede & Friends -- Poems & Riddles to Bug You! can be found on
her website at http://www.caroljdouglas.com.
___________________________________________

No comments: