Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Karen's Kanvas: Reflections, Favorite Teachers, Memories and Impact People have on my Life

Last night I listened to Debbie's in the Quiet show, to relax and chill,

I reflected then, and now, I still.

 

I did not think a message from her yesterday I would take away

But I had.   One she did convey

And I have thought about it today.

 

Recently Debbie had a dream,

And she commented that life is not what it   seems,

She spoke of a teacher   in 4th grade,

And the impression that teacher made,

But as a child we don't often connect the dots then

  Yet learn more than academics at age ten.

 

Those teachers taught all subjects and led the students in their classroom,

Children with many personalities, saw each grow and bloom.

 

They were leaders and role models and showed us the way,

They taught us much each and every day,

Those memories for me, did stay,

And I do recall such a teacher in  the 5TH grade ,

And what an impression, she made,

I knew of her the year before,

My sister Mary Beth was in her class.   Then it was my turn, it was 1974.

 

Her name was Mrs.  McKeon and she was great!

She taught at E. A.  Bogart in N. J, likely one of the best schools in the state,

 

It was not too far from New York City, Upper Saddle River, in a middle class Community,

She was a positive influence on Mary Beth and me. 

She taught more than   Academics indeed,

More than just English, Science and arithmetic.  She strengthened our ability to read,

But also helped you build confidence and believe in oneself,

Being in her class, improved your mental health. 

 

She had high expectations of her    students including me,

It did not matter that I was the only legally blind child and well I couldn't see,

She gave lots of homework even on the weekend,

Rules, she did not bend .

 

Every week we had 20 new vocabulary words, had to write the definition, part of speech and write a sentence and handwrite the assignment,

Much time I spent,

Had many volumes of a large print dictionary,

  They lay on the shelves of my Parents library,

Used multiple volumes and thought it was a pain,

But it was good for me.   The information, I did retain.

 

She taught us songs, music, had spelling bees   and played games,

She got to know each student, knew everybody's personality, not just our names. 

 

She helped me finally learn fractions, long division and something about art,

She was very special, had a gift, and a warm heart.

 

During that year I was in Girl Scouts, CCD, took typing and in my fourth year of ballet

And I still enjoy dancing today. 

 

That year we also raised a Dog, a shepherd,   named Odell from the Seeing Eye in Morristown, an hour away,

We learned much  in 4-H club   and Camp, was hard to give Odell away. 

 

Mrs.   McKeon did not accept sloppy work, laziness and she made   sure   she had our attention every day

I loved her! she was tough but fair!  Made us work but we also did play.

 

We began with the Pledge Allegiance to the Flag,

We ran the 50 yard dash, did situps and played tag,

She taught us Geography and a song, 50 nifty United States

History, we learned important dates.

 

I did not like History and did not see the point of reading about Colonial times,   or in Science, our Planet Earth,

Worse yet, Math, I did not see its worth,

And in my life, how it, could I apply,

But, I was sad, in June of 75, when I had to say goodbye,

And to Canada we did move, I was not the same girl when we returned to the garden state

I was more quiet, shy and withdrawn

Probably because I did not have friends, was made fun of, in the 7 years we were gone,

Went through many growing   pains, felt alone and sad,

My Sisters, very glad they were there, Tara and Mary, with you, fun I had.  

 

In Junior High, we lived in Canada and Ohio, I withdrew and my spirit almost died,

I sat in class, lessons taught, but I was bullied a lot, at home often cried

After school I retreated to my room, with my books, music, and favorite TV shows,

It was then, began to write, letters I would compose,

To my Grandma and best friend   Andrea   that I left behind,

In Jersey.  That's how I relaxed and unwind. 

 

Andrea was from Grease. In 5th Grade I taught her some English, and she me, Greek,

We wrote letters every week.

 

Music, Dance, song and writing, were my salvation, they gave me inner strength, kept my sanity and help me to cope,

It made   adolescence bearable,     got me through,

And when I am stressed and feeling down now, these things help, my spirit is renewed.

 

It is, now, as I sit here and     type away,

It has been an excellent day!

 

Sorry, I did digress and went down memory lane for a bit,

Things are out of sequence, hopefully, it will all fit,

The puzzle pieces all fit and the picture   more clear,

You will see, once, I am done here.

 

Anyway, Mrs.  McKeon did not tolerate rudeness and bullying! she  thought respect and how to be kind,

A teacher like her, is hard to find.

 

Also remember, she was thoughtful, caring, funny, not just a teacher, but also a Wife and Mother,

Her son Mike dropped   and in and observed her class once in a while,

He was friendly and made us youngsters laugh and smile. 

 

I remember playing silent ball   , during that game, learned to be quiet, eye hand coordination, and follow rules,

She gave us direction, guidance and the tools,

  To critically think, and encouraged all throughout the year,

I have fond Memories as I sit here. 

 

I have thought about her over the years and even visited her in 1982,

When we moved back to New Jersey, 7 years flew,

Yet, in other ways, was quite long!  Went through puberty when living in Oakville Ontario,

Canada and Cincinnati Ohio as well,

Junior High was awful! hell!,

Pretty bad,

And since then, never had,

A teacher like Mrs. McKeon,   she must be about 80 at this time, wonder, if she is still alive and retired,

I am so grateful that back then, she, they hired. 

 

When I returned  to the states, and  made a surprise  visit in 82 ,she recognized me right away,  she remembered  my face,

The school Changed, was not the same place.    I too, was not the same,

And she remembered my name, not Mary Beth, but me.   Guess, I still looked ten,

  Even when,

I was 18 and a young adult, I looked very young and recognizable to her after all that time,

I hope she is well, and doing fine.

 

Yes, there are people who make an impression and have an impact on us all

Do you recall?

A favorite   teacher? Or someone who made a difference and help you to thrive? And taught you a lesson of some kind?

  Enlightened, inspired you? enabled you to develop your personality  and mind?

Taught you things that you cannot find in   books or in a lecture Hall    ?

I certainly can recall,

And can think of some, a difference for me, they made,

   Some When I was under 5 and some since 5th grade,

Some   when living in Canada, here in Arizona, Denver, and in the Midwest,

But more, here in the States ,back East, that I remember best. 

 

It's ironic, we  may not  make a connection or feel like anything we have gained  ,

Till later, But  even during storms, thunder and rain,

There  is  the sun, the beautiful rainbow,

Special people change us, color our world, help us  to grow.

 

People come into our lives  for a  reason,

Some for just a season,

Some for just a day,

And some for a lifetime!  those people  are here to  stay,

Are there  for  you each  and every  day,

Through the thick and thin, through the Valleys and the peaks,

in  good times and bad ,each and every week. 

 

 

Those individuals,   don't take for granted , be grateful and  feel blessed! I do!,

For now, this, it must end, I'm through,

Have a busy day, things to do,

So until then my readers and friends,

This message I  send.  

 

No comments: