Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Week home: May 16 through May 25

Hello Everyone,
Its been awhile since I have posted, I know but it has been a time of
adjustment for Joyce and me.
When I last left you all,it was two weekends ago. Sunday the 16 we three
just took it easy. My foot was still hurting so had a lazy day at home. I
showed her around our large apartment complex and the neighborhood.
Monday, the 17, I had a doctors appointment so we woke up early and took
two busses to the appointment. Things went pretty well. we discovered some
bus routes no longer exist and we found some alternative ones in the
process.
Tuesday I returned to work. Most everyone had seen Joyce's picture so knew
what she looked like prior to me getting to the office.
I had Hr send out a memo with the picture so employees would know not to
pet or feed her when she was working, or even in harness at rest.
I had a ton of mail to get caught up on and many people I haven't seen in
almost a month. I got a warm welcome by many in housekeeping as well as in
other departments.
I had Joyce in harness,lying on her little matt. Most everybody wanted to
see her.
For several hours I didn't take her out of harness at all. But,at the end
of the day,I allowed her to see a couple people at a time so they can have
a meet and greet short session.
Joyce was pretty good while I was working.
Since I was gone for almost a month,I had forgotten some of my jaws keyboard
commands. Fortunately it didn't last long and I was using the opera
application pretty efficiently as if I was never gone.
Engineering was doing some construction in the back of the house as well as
in the loading dock so it was more challenging for Joyce and me to get
around.
I spent the first few days doing some targeting with her to the
office,dock,rest room,cafeteria etc,places I go in the hotel. It took time
but she has learned it.
Each day, there was less stress and we began to settle in on the job and
Joyce being there.
Joyce is full of energy and very spastic out of harness so for awhile I
will continue to keep her in harness at work.
In the evening did go on a couple short walks. I did spend some time
having her use her booties so she will get more comfortable wearing them in
the heat of the day.
Saturday,the 22,Darrell and I went to visit his friend Amber in Phoenix.
We took the light rail and a bus there and the light rail and two busses
back home. It was a fun day.
Joyce did excellent on the light rail,got right under the seat. We had no
issues boarding and exiting the rail.
Joyce wore her booties and for the first time she didn't gallop like a pony.
It was great! She did fantastic guiding,crossing streets and navigating
obstacles.
We all went to Arriba's Grill ( a very popular Mexican restaurant). Amber
has been here before but not Darrell and I.
None of us like spicy food so they put little or no chili's or anything in
our food.
Darrell and I were pleasantly surprised on how good the food was. The
server was friendly and spoke English which is very helpful.
Amber lives close to the restaurant so we hung out at her apartment for a
few hours,had a nice visit and then headed home to Tempe.
While there,Joyce wanted to play with Amber's Cat. she did very well and
left the cat alone.
Sunday,the 23,I continued reding the novel I began ," the Bend in the Road.
Yesterday Joyce and I went to some of my appointments. Joyce did very well
and she loves everyone. She still wants to meet people in harness some and
working on this.
Last night,I completed the book,pretty late and neither Darrell nor I slept
well. I didn't feel very good today.
So, just stayed home doing some housework and pay bills,chat with friends
and relax.
Tomorrow return to work and I know it will be a sold out hotel,all week it
will be.
well,its 6;30,still have things to do before bedtime. One thing is groom
Joycie. She is shedding a lot,hair everywhere grr lol.
Take care and I will try to write more often. maybe,even compose some
KDD's. Hope you are enjoying the blog. Comments and questions welcome.
till then.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

I loved reading your blog while in class.