Saturday, May 15, 2010

Days 20 - 22: Flying home and Sunrise Cafe

The night of Wednesday,May 12, I finished my packing and hung out in the
common lounge for a short while. Barb,Shannon and Ken were telling jokes.
Kim,Savanna and Kyle were also there.
Around 10;30 went to bed since I would have to be up by 3;30 a.m.
Shannon called me at 3;30 so I could get up and get showered and dressed.
She stopped by my room with Joyce's food about 4 and took my luggage down
to the front door.
After I took Joyce out to parc,I went up to the common lounge. They had a
continental breakfast for those of us who were up and gone by 7.( cheese
and or apple pastry's,orange juice and coffee as well as assorted cereals )
Shannon and Barb said goodbye to me. Shannon said,see you in 8 to 10. I
told her that sounded like a prison sentence, we laughed, lol. it would
have been nice to have seen others and say goodbye but after all it was 5
a.m,an uncivilized hour to be up.
Jim one of the instructors took me to the airport. We learned more about
the other while chatting on the way. Jim will be in a half marathon (13.5
miles tomorrow) I am sure he will do well.
Everything went smoothly at Newark but it was very very busy,lots of
people. They don't want to stress the dogs,so Jim had me go sighted
guide. He showed his Seeing Eye ID and got a pass to walk me to the gate. I
had no issues at security and Joyce did well.
By the time we got to the gate,we had only 3 minutes to spare before
preboarding.
The flight attendant had reassigned some passengers before anyone even
boarded so Joyce and I had the entire row to ourselves. This doesn't
happen often(like the sold out red eye flight Jeff and I were on )
I gave Darrell a quick call when I got on the plane. . It was an
uneventful 5 hour flight. They offered beverages and a light breakfast of
cereal,nothing else.
While Joyce was sleeping,I listened to some of the music,70 & 80's as well
as began a book ( A Bend in the road by Nickalus Sparks ) that Darrell
loaded on there for me prior to my trip to the Seeing Eye.
We landed a little early to Phoenix and it was about 73 degrees. I had no
trouble getting assistance,getting my luggage and getting to ground
transportation to catch a cab home.
Fortunately,we only live 10 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport so it didn't
take long. I did pick up Mc Donald's for us though.
Once we got home,took Joyce out,and Darrell and I had our breakfast and
chatted for awhile.
The rest of the day we three just relaxed. Joyce and Darrell connected
right away. Darrell nor I didn't sleep very well while I was gone so we
needed to catch up on sleep.
Joyce's parc schedule is a bit off so have been taking her out more often.
She is not relieving as much,will take time.
Needless-to- say, we have been getting to bed at crazy hours.
Yesterday morning,we were up again at 2 a.m so I called Jeff to wake him up.
Everyone was starting to get up around then anyways at the Seeing Eye so,
figured it would be fine. I know Jeff, I sounded way too Chipper for the
middle of the night :) lol. I had been sleeping for awhile and taking Joyce
out one last time since she did nothing since the middle of the day.
(thought you would be just waking up)
Later in the morning, Darrell and I worked on using clicker with Joyce. We
focused on the dog area at the apartment complex (though may find a
different location) as well as targeted the front door. She did pretty well
but I am sure all the doors look alike.
In the afternoon,just played with her and on the computer. I also chatted
with friends whom called to welcome me home.
This morning Darrell and I woke up early,about 6;45 or so. We wanted to go
to Breakfast but knew the high today would be 94. We wanted to be back
home before the heat of the day.
Joyce did very well but is still learning the route to the Sunrise cafe.
she navigated around obstacles and did an excellent job crossing the
streets.
We enjoyed our Breakfast. I had a breakfast sandwich (scrambled
eggs,cheese,bacon) and Darrell French toast. We also had fruit and lots of
coffee and water.:) We got a bowl of ice for Joycie too.:)
We went to pay the check but were told someone else did. That was very
nice,we were not expecting that at all.
Of course,it was a bit hotter when we left the cafe so it took a little
longer to get home. On the way there as well as the way back, there were a
few dogs. I had remembered what my Instructor Kristin had said: act tough
and strong,not afraid. So,I spoke with a more assertive,firm voice and
like the retired sergeant in our class. (even though I was nervous )
Darrell thought it was pretty funny! :) lol when We were almost home, had
about half a mile left, and I realized I had a blister on my left foot,on
the bottom of my heel. I was half asleep,had no coffee and was only
thinking of Joyce and her little feet that I forgot to put on my sneakers.
I instead had on my loafers. (stupid me grr)
Since then,we just been taking it easy,hanging out. Plan on doing some
housework and reading more of the novel.
Will take Joyce on a short walk tomorrow and Monday but don't think I can
do two miles like we did today with that blister on my foot.
I return to work Tuesday. I am happy to go back. I will update you all on
how things are going.
For now,take care and have a good rest of the weekend.

No comments: