Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Days 10 & 11: Elm Street,Booties and more Clicker

Its 8;30 Tuesday night.  I have completed Day 11. I am more than half over with the  training.
The last  couple days have been both busy and challenging. 
Yesterday  morning woke,very tired.  Sunday night We had a thunderstorm and Joyce was whining most of the night. (I don't like thunder and lightening either )
Anyway, it was raining too yesterday, so  the day didn't start out too well.
Breakfast  was very good pancakes and  sausage.
We began the elm street route, somewhat modified. I am having asthma issues and my health  isn't at 100 % still( had many health issues last year)
We worked the elm street route in the rain and humidity.  (can't  believe its hotter here in Jersey than back home in Phoenix)
The  morning was pretty uneventful except for the fact that we heard lots of   fire trucks.
Soon after,I was back in the lounge,guess,a transformer blew on Miller street under the library.  I missed the  explosion  by 15 minutes or so,thank god.!
Don't know exactly remember what we had for lunch,think chicken  salad.
In the afternoon the route was even more modified. Due to the explosion, we did some freelance work and got to see the area,they call the "green".  i got to look at the  Morris Frank and Buddy Statue.  ( it is full size an looks real,use special paint to give it the look)  It wwas neat.
.  We had some Clarence issues.  Joyce was walking me into poles and shrubs on the right side of sidewalks and we overshot a couple curbs.  We reworked all of this. We resolved the  curb issue but  still had the issue of her steering me into objects on  the shoulder  on right side.
On the way back  from our trip into town,it began to hail. we were in the van and almost back at the campus when it came pouring down. Again, close call,I could have been some of those students who were on the second afternoon trip and got soaked. 
A student here,fell really hard on this route and then it suddenly was pouring.  She didn't break anything but did get hurt and is taking it easy right now.  Glad she is okay. 
 
Last night's dinner was seafood,scallops but I wasn't in the mood to have it so just had  the salad plate
After Dinner Shannon gave her lecture on food and toys: What brands are best,what to feed them,the does and don'ts of feeding and  toys to give them to play with.
Most everything they don't recommend.
Joyce is on imes but we are switching her to Proplan.  It is good because they don't have to go out as often and not as much for clean up. She seems to like it more too. She actually ate a full bowl of food  tonight.
They really like the nylon bones and tug ropes. Joyce loves her bone,uses it like a rope and loves to play.
Soon after,parc time last night,I had a glass of wine and some cheese with Kim,one of my classmates. We chatted for awhile.  It was very nice.  Went to bed  about 10;30.  it took awhile to fall asleep but once I did,I was  knocked out and didn't wake up till I heard the announcement for feed and parc. ( I usually wake up every  few hours)
Today started out well.  We had fried eggs,home fry's,fruit and a morning glory muffin,very tasty. Coffee as usual.
I went out on the mid morning shuttle.  Kristin and I continued to do the Elm Street route.  Joyce   wore her booties on the morning trip.  At first,she was galloping like a pony.  She was stumbling around and that made me stumble.  She looked silly and I,like a drunk!   I am sure, we looked ridiculous!  lol?
After a few blocks,she did better in some areas but was still steering me into poles and bushes.
I sometimes forget to keep my arm back and even when I  had proper arm position,she would crowd me into poles an bushes.
While on the route,she ran me into the right side,where it was uneven. I fell,on my knees and my left ankle rolled. 
I didn't feel it at first but later knew I had sprained it. My ankle felt pulled and  felt a bit swollen. 
I finished the route and went back to the lounge to wait for  the shuttle . 
Once I got back to  campus went to see the nurse. My ankle was swollen. She put on a topical  ointment.  and She gave me an ice pack and a brace. I also took something for pain.
Lunch was burger and fries. ( It was yummy. I knew it would be good. I  could smell the aroma when I went to take her out for  Parc time.)
Even though,my ankle hurt and I wanted to stay back to rest,I went on my afternoon trip anyways.
Lucas came on my trip with Kristin and I.  When we got to the areas   where she was  side stepping right into  poles and bushes,Lucas showed us a new technique. he calls it " mama's stuck" :) lol This is basically like a situation where if one is stuck in a ditch and the dog has to push you out. 
At first,Joyce wasn't listening.  We had to continuously say forward and lightly tug the leash to the left,forcing her to pull left. Once she does,praise like crazy as she is   moving out!
We continued the route,hung  in there to the end. We  reworked an area near the lounge where she was consistently pushing me  right and she did much,much better.its not perfect,but making progress.  it will take time.
By the time,I made it to the lounge,my ankle was hurting more. But at least Lucas and I  worked on some issues.! I iced it and have been resting my foot.
Dinner was delicious.  We had Chicken parmesan and spaghetti as well as garden salad. They also had pecan pie,very good.
After dinner,Lucas had his lecture on Clicker again. It explained  clicker training in more detail and recommended   objectsthatwouldbe good to target.  They use the word Zook" to cue the dogs to find the target(example traffic pole,bus bench,trash can ) I learned  Zook is Dutch for Find. 
 Today Jeff had to be rematched.  This evening,they found him a new dog,one that is much smaller  and shorter then Vincent.  Her name is Rory.  (a good  Irish name)  She sounds cute and I really hope this match is  the perfect one for Jeff. 
Well,its already 9;30. I need to shower and ice my ankle. I am  doing  my Elm Street solo tomorrow so I need a good night's sleep.
Take care and sorry for no posts lately. Hope you keep reading.  Have a great night.

No comments: