Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Petwarmers: If there is a Will...

Hello,
This is a wonderful story. It doesn't matter who you are or whether
your human or Canine or Feline. We all should be accepted and be
treated with respect and well no matter if we have a disability or not.
Please read, think you will enjoy. And, below, tell me your reaction.
Take care.
You know the old adage. You'll find out today in Denise's story
that it took a lot of will to make things happen for Pawlee.
But today she's thriving! Nice story!

"WHERE THERE'S A WILL..."
by Denise Koebel

I'm a physical therapist assistant in an acute care hospital.
Occasionally, you build up a very quick, but strong connection
with a patient. I worked with the patient's daughter, a nurse, and
had met his wife of 60 years. During the final treatment, he threw a
pulmonary embolism and coded. He died within an hour. We were all
devastated. His name was Paul.
A week later, my step-mother told me about a litter of Beagle
puppies that had been born next door. One was needing some help.
So I came in to check them out, even though I already had three
dogs at the time. She was very small, 2.6 pounds at 7-1/2 weeks, had
a large domed head, like a Chihuahua, and was about 1/4 the size of
her litter mates. She was the runt of the litter, and when called,
she ran smack into the side of the door frame of the doghouse. She
was blind too.
Of course, she came home with me. Her name is Pawlee. Yep,
named in honor of Paul.
She was taken to my vet in Etown, who diagnosed her with
hydrocephaly (the large head) and blindness. The vet gave me plenty
of hope, but also a reality check, suggesting the possibility of
seizures, major medical issues and possibly even death.
All of which I refused to accept.
She had made it this far and deserved every chance possible.
At 5 months, she was strong enough and had gained enough weight
to be scheduled for spaying, but it had to be postponed due to a
newly discovered liver enzyme issue. She was put on Denosyl and milk
thistle for almost a year (both help with building up the liver) and
the following July, at 1 year and 3 weeks old, she was finally
spayed. HALLELUJAH!
Today she has the run of the house and is house trained to the
puppy pads, but will "go to the door" to go outside. She runs around
the fenced backyard with little problem, wrestles fiercely and often
with her "sisters," and she sits on command. She didn't make a sound
for the first 5 months, but now only bays when she is wrestling --
and VERY happy doing it!
She does run into things occasionally, but her vision appears to
be greatly improved since her adoption. I also supplement her food
with carrots, both raw and canned, so maybe that has helped. Pawlee
is now 15 pounds and full of life. DEFINITELY A BEAGLE -- lots of
digging, following a scent, baying.
Being blind hasn't stopped her from being a dog.
Pawlee deserved a chance at a normal life, and has proven she is
a fighter.
Just because a dog has a disability and is born with multiple
challenges, both medically and physically, doesn't mean they can't
improve and live a full life. And it doesn't mean they are stupid
and can't learn.
With love, patience, a great vet, special medications and food,
and other family canine support, Pawlee is doing extremely well and
is thriving. She will be 2 in June.
I thank God daily for sending her into my life. She has proven
where there is a will, there is a way. You just have to be willing
to try and have faith.

-- Denise Koebel <skeezerby at webtv.net>

___________________________________________
Denise says, "I'm a physical therapist assistant in Elizabethtown,
KY. I have three dogs, two guinea pigs, seven birds, an aquarium
and feed outdoor cats. I'm also a HUGE promoter of Petfinder.com to
all of my family, friends and co-workers. And I thank my vets, Dr.
Will Flanagan and Dr. Jessica Ayers, for having faith and great
determination to help keep my little Squirt and the rest of my
family, healthy and happy."
___________________________________________


___________________________________________

No comments: