Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Heartwarmers: Forgiven Debts

The best thing to happen to mornings since the Sun!

Your morning thought for the day:
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness
is the attribute of the strong.
-- Mahatma Gandhi

It's always a pleasure to read a story that restores your
confidence in people. Christmas and New Year's is a time of renewal
and hope. It's a time to forgive and forget. It's a time when some
outstanding debts are forgiven.
Today, you'll enjoy this real life story from Susan.
FORGIVEN DEBTS
by Susan Lemckert

It was about a week before Christmas.
My three daughters and I headed out one night to the University
Place Hallmark store. While in the parking lot, I asked the girls to
please wait in the car long enough for me to get my checkbook and
wallet in order.
The wind suddenly picked up and rocked the van. Snowflakes
started falling. It was magical to see snow glistening under the
street lights in the parking lot. Now it felt like Christmas!
Hannah, the front seat passenger, slowly squeezed the door
handle. Instantly, a blast of cold air shot into the van, flinging
the passenger door wide open and smacking it into a black Volvo
parked next to us.
Hannah screamed in horror and jumped in the back seat.
I got out and looked at the Volvo's damaged door. It was no
ding -- it was more like a foot long gash. I came back inside the
van and assessed the damages with the girls. Hannah was still
crying. I assured her it was an accident but that we were still
responsible for the damage. We waited awhile in the car, looking at
each shopper return to their car. Nobody went to the black Volvo
next to us.
After about 20 minutes, we went inside Hallmark asking if anyone
drove a black Volvo with Georgia license plates. Nobody claimed a
black Volvo. I saw a police officer walking his beat on the sidewalk
near the store. I explained to him what had happened. He laughed
and said, "Most people would drive off. If you want, you could leave
a note."
After digging through my pocketbook, I found a piece of paper
and wrote. "The wind blew my van door into your right back passenger
door and damaged it. We waited for the owner of the car to return
for quite some time. I am sorry to have damaged your car. Susan."
I also left my phone number.
With that, I lifted the windshield wiper on the Volvo and placed
my confession underneath it.
"There goes Christmas," I thought as we drove home. My husband
told the girls we did the right thing to leave a note. With a sick
feeling in our stomachs we wondered how much the repairs would be on
the Volvo. My husband guestimated several hundreds of dollars.
Each time the phone rang, my heart raced wondering if it was a
response to the Volvo. A day passed and no response. I wondered if
perhaps the wind blew my note off the windshield. Did the person
ever get my confession?
One afternoon, there was a message on my answering machine.
"Hi, Susan. This is Tom Rodgowski. You left a message on my
windshield. I really appreciate your honesty about my car. I will
get a few estimates and get back with you. And, thanks, again, for
your honesty."
Another day went by. Another message was left on my answering
machine. This time it said, ì Hi, Susan. This is Tom Rodgowski. I
got two estimates to repair the door on the Volvo. One was $700 and
the other was, I think, rather high, $1,200. I will try calling you
again and let you know what I have decided."
My husband was home the next time Tom called. They agreed on
the $700 amount to repair the damaged Volvo door. My husband agreed
to meet Tom with a check at Caribou Coffee on Mallard Creek Church
Road the next day.
Wearing his Willie Claus Santa Hat (a mix between Santa Claus
and Willie Nelson with white braids), my husband set out with all
three daughters to meet Mr. Rodgowski and deliver the check. My
husband said Tom was a nice man, wished him a Merry Christmas and
apologized for the inconvenience we might have caused by damaging his
car.
Several days later another message was on my answering machine.
"Hello. This is Tom Rodgowski. I cashed in a few favors due me
and got my car fixed at no charge. I am returning your check in the
mail. Happy holidays."
We were so shocked to get a message like that! Was it real?
Well, the next day we got the check back in the mail from Tom.
I thought about Christmas and how a gift was given to us and how a
debt was forgiven.

-- Susan Lemckert <selemckert at aol.com>

______________________________________________
Susan lives with her family in Charlotte, North Carolina, and enjoys
writing, photography and sewing costumes.
______________________________________________


WHAT CHRISTMAS IS NOT ABOUT
by Freda Fullerton

Christmas is not about presents
under the tree that we find,
It's about loving and giving and
being kind.

Christmas is not about sleigh bells,
and new fallen snow,
It's about caring for
the folks that we know.

Christmas is not about turkey and stuffing
and my favorite pie,
It's about the most wonderful gift
that comes from on high.

Christmas is not about getting
the newest fashion or toy,
It's about service, with
thanksgiving and joy.

Christmas is not about calling it...
"The Holiday Season,"
But keeping in mind,
that Christ is the reason.

-- Freda Fullerton <fjful at aol.com>

______________________________________________

No comments: