Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bennefits of Swimming

Like many people, I don't like to exercise. Most of us, don't find it "
fun" nor say, we have the " time to exercise daily.
In addition, those of us whom are blind or disabled, may find it more
difficult to find an activity to do that is fun but that will also provide
that exercise workout. They say,just find an activity that you enjoy, do
well and stick to it. Experts recommend, finding a few activities that one
can do, so you will have variety and will continue it long term.
Most people can play contact sports, such as tennis, basketball, or
baseball just to name a few. Yet, for obvious, reasons, these sports are
challenging for those of us whom are blind,unless, their some adaptations
made.
Furthermore, other activities such as skiing and rock climbing take more
time and energy for some of us to do without sight. I know,its the case
with me.
Before, I became totally blind, I enjoyed and could do some of these
activities mentioned above.
When, I had high partial sight, I functioned more as a sighted person and
had a lot of residual vision, that it was not as difficult for me.
In elementary School and High School I played basketball and baseball some.
While living in Ontario Canada I learned to ice skate, skateboard and went
downhill skiing for the first time.
Moreover, I enjoyed these activities very much before I lost all my sight,
thus was getting more exercise while having fun.
I use to go to friends houses and ice-skated on their outdoor rink and in
High School, I would go to the outdoor rink Sunday afternoons and skate for
a few hours to music. though, I was not very good, I could skate for hours
around the rink without falling. I had a blast.!
Not only that,my family would go skiing to the Pocono's in PA,or travel to
snowshoe West Virginia or Upstate New York and ski all day. We went to a
place called Windham Mountain, near Hunter and they had an excellent ski
program for the blind.
In the early 90's, I was also involved in Ski for Light and with an
organization called ABLE ( Athletes, Blind,leisure Enthusiasts). We would
get together one Saturday a month and go hiking, swimming, sailing and much
more. We had sighted guides to assist us.
While involved with Ski for light, I would go cross country skiing for a
week up in Sherman PA. I would do this during the January Term, over
Christmas vacation while in College.

Some of us, also participated in Sports for Health and for a week in the
summer and many of us,would return to Sherman Pennsylvania and do other fun
activities such as swim, roller skate, tandem biking and repelling. Though,
I did not enjoy the repelling at all! In fact, Everyone could hear me
scream from the lodge. Those of you, who know me well, know, how loud I
can scream and think I could be an extra in a horror movie.
As some of you know, Darrell and I met at the Colorado Center for the blind
, back in 1995. One of the activities that all of us students had to do ,
was rock climbing.
This too,is another wonderful activity that can be a learning tool as well.
At least, that is what the staff said. They believe, if we can concor our
fear of climbing and reach the top of the rock, that we can do " anything",
such as learn proper techniques to cross a street, and or make a large meal
for 40 or more people.
Although, I hate Rock climbing with a Passion, I am glad I at least tried
it,just like the downhill skiing and repelling.
However, those activities,I just don't enjoy anymore now that I am totally
blind. I just can not concentrate and feel anxious while doing them. They
are just not any " fun".
Despite this fact, I do make attempts now and then, to find activities to
do, so I too can get my exercise and improve my health.
Swimming is one of my favorites. So,is dancing. I always loved dancing,
ever since I was a child. I began with Ballet.
Then, While in College, I participated in two Dance marathons. The first
one was back in 86. I and several others danced for 24 hours to raise funds
for Muscular Dystrphy. It may seem crazy, but why not?. One can have fun,
exercise while raising money for a good cause.
I was one of the few who made it through the entire marathon. I was
exhausted and I hurt from head to toe. I was up for 32 hours and slept the
next day. Sleep and Ben Gaye were my friend.
Two years later, I again, participated in another fund Raiser. Yet, this
Dance Marathon was only 4 hours and a piece of cake. I don't think I can do
the 24 hour one today, but still can Dance for at least 4 hours.
This time, we danced to help the American Heart Association. I love to
get involved and help others. I am great at coordinating things , events
and such and like to make a difference in other's lives.
Last year, I worked on a project, through work, with Hyatt and we all
raised funds for " Make a Wish Foundation" in which they raised funds to
make it possible for Children whom are terminally ill to have their last "
wish" fulfilled . .
Today, I continue to dance to get my exercise. I don't take any classes,just
" dance" in our living room. I'd like to take some Dance classes and in the
past, I have. I took Tap, a couple years ago and loved it. It was through
the Tempe Recreation Center and an assistant was provided. They still
offer this class along with numerous others, but with my crazy schedule,
having a work schedule that varies every week, makes it very difficult to
do. The classes are always being held during the day or before 7 at
night. Its just not compatible with my schedule
However, this does not mean, I can not get exercise, just makes it a little
more challenging. I still don't exercise as much as I should, but again, I
am putting forth more of an effort these days to exercise. We have a
stationary bike and we don't use it that much. Yet, I am hoping, that will
change. I suppose, the more I do it the easier it will be.? If I break the
bad habit of not biking or not doing exercise with one, where I do, then, It
will just be part of my daily routine.
So, go ahead find an activity,or two or three that you enjoy and will
stay interested for months at a time. Swimming,may be one of them. Here
below is an article about the health benefits of swimming. Enjoy.
Speaking of Swimming, Stacey was just here. She said, looks like we will
get another storm. So, its likely we will not be able to go swimming. That
is disappointing. I guess, that means,I have to do some real exercise and
stretch,tone and ride the bike or, dance to music?
Let me know, what exercises you do, whether you are blind or sighted. If
you are blind, provide feedback and techniques. Perhaps, it will help all
of us?.
Meanwhile, read this post I wrote along with any of the KDD's I have
blogged here.Take Care.

http://swimming.about.com/od/swimworkouts/a/swim_benefit.htm,

No comments: