Monday, May 14, 2007

Today's KDD: my Challenging College Career

Its now, 11;36,

Darrell and I are gathering our music mix,

For our Desert Café Show at 3,

We are both off today, you see.

At 8;30 we did rise,

And in the background, is playing Kim Carnes Betty Davis Eyes,

At 10, went to run some errands, went to safeway and CVS,

Now, home chilling, going to catch up on some rest,

Picked up some items, that they did not bring and to get my prescription,

Wendy's, I did run,

Now, I am here, writing this, and feelling better then I did the other
day,

Have other things to say.

Its hard to believe, that 13 years ago,on this day,I finally got my
Degree,

It was a major accomplishment for me,

School was always a struggle ,Subjects were difficult to learn,

Yet, it,I did earn,

I was on the 10 year plan,

Lost the rest of my sight, a year after College began,

My vision fluctuated, had numerous of surgeries, quite intense,

My world was turned upside down, not making much sense,

This went on for 7 years,

Had some days filled with laughter, but many filled with tears,

Life,is much different as a partially sighted person, , I could do things
, the sighted way,

And since, then, my life,is much different today.

I hung in there, did not quit and made it through,

And,if your in a similar position, so can you,

Don't give up , stay strong,

And, it may take long,

You may feel anxiety, not have the strength, feel weak,

Yet, can obtain that goal, accomplish much, what you set out to seek,

I wanted to quit many times, yet,had higher expectations for myself,

And though, always, was not good my state of mind,my mental health,

I ultimately did succeed and have my BA in Psychology

A Psychiatrist, I wanted to be,

Yet, today, having just a BA,is not a big deal, you see,

Does not mean much, some people can be just as successful without one,

And, after all said and done,

Very glad, I was determined and hung in there until the end,

Once, I got the degree, I, then, I could mend,

Focus more on learning skills of blindness and dealing with losing my
sight emotionally,

Could really take time for me,

And begin to get off that emotional roller coaster ride,

Unleash the feelings that were suppressed inside,

Not until then, really adapt and cope,

Finally, find a glimmer of hope

And after years, get on with my life,

It was 6 months later that I met Darrell, and 12 years later, became his
wife.

However, that is another story, for another day,

I do need to go, need to gather music to play,

Hearing the song, " don't like Monday's Play,

On the XM radio,

Need to go,

Prepare for the show,

And do a little housework, this I wanted to write,

Will likely go swimming tonight,

Not much else I will do,

How about you?

Do take care and stay well, Have a great day.

No comments: