Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Karen's Kanvas: Will it get a Grammy or, the Gong! , lol

Can anyone, create music? or does it take talent, and, skill?

  Can lyrics be written at will?

 

Of course, it’s possible, but, is it good quality?  and   easy to listen to and fun?

 

I don’t think so it’s a gift   and can’t easily be done 

 That’s why they are called, artists, not many, can do it well 

 At least, if, they are going to be successful, and their music is going to sell

And be widely distributed        in the stores   and on the net

For   if it’s not, how we all   soon will forget 

  Who the artist   was, their style of music and the message they wanted to convey

Or just, help another just relax and get through the day.

 

  Any form of Art is such a subjective thing,

What makes   one man weep, makes another sing,

What makes one person enjoy a genre, makes another groan and sigh,

What one song gives purpose to someone, and another, ask why  

Was this written?!?  music it’s not!

While another will say, man, this is hot!

It’s the bomb!   and will be the next #1 hit! 

Another will respond and say, the     lyricist needs to quit! 

And keep their day job, to earn   the money 

 To pay their bills and that, their songs are not at all funny!

 Or may be even offensive    and just noise   to her or him 

That some musicians, will sink while others swim

 

 

Some say, the words don’t flow! 

 The   tempo wrong!  that’s not how, that story should go!

It’s not, how it should be told! 

 That record should not even be sold! 

 And be released,

  Does it give peace?

Does it have good Melody? Harmony ?, Meter and measure  ?,

Do you like the singer’s voice?  do the lyrics and instrumental elements bring you pleasure?

 

 

Of course, none of us   prefer the same type of music, just like other forms of art 

  It varies, different art forms, it resonates with souls and touch hearts,

Some appreciate music, while others, acting, painting, writing or dance,

That takes talent too and one’s life it can enhance,

And forever their life changed  

 The   notes and chorus rearranged,

Like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle or a rubrics cube

  Some would rather go to a museum, attend a concert, a symphony or just watch YouTube.

 

Billy Joel said it well, if you don’t continue writing music, in another year you won’t be on the Charts,

If your songs don’t have meaning   or tell a story, it won’t reach the hearts,

  If    you don’t have good pitch    or practice and play   your instrument   well at all,

In another year, you won’t be recalled,

If song writing you lack 

  Or you don’t sign the contract, pay the agency fees, your name    will be on the discount rack,

Like an old can of beans, enquire magazine, or a stale Hershey bar,

6 months from now, no one will know who you are

  The songs   you sung or   stage you stood,

If you were    unforgettable! Or any good,

  Venues played, the hotels you stayed at, countries   visited or if you   could be searched with Amazon prime,

If not, you   will see the sign, the doors are closed! 

 You may be able to compose,

Write lyrics   and sing to your hearts content,

But it would not reach the public, money would not be spent,

To see the best ones in concert    or listen   online,

  Most, are not like wine,

They don’t, improve with age!

 For, most, its hard work, takes energy and time, talent is, not enough!

Show biz, can be tough!

  They say, don’t sweat the small stuff,

and its 10 % inspiration and   90 % perspiration,

  can you feel the burn?

  as those songs are played for your fans? as that money you earn?

 

as said, some have the gift    and their songs resonate with me   and   my mood   does improve,

I listen fully, I, dance to the beat and get into the groove,

do some Jive        talking, and sing with feeling from my chest,

to my favorite musicians and the songs, I like best!

 

I prefer soft rock, classical and country   songs

Rap and Opera   get the gong,

especially new R &B and all   Rap, I think most of it, is, offensive and crap,

like Eminem and snoop dog,

You’d never see me post   a link to my blog,

Of any new R& b   or Rap, not at all! That is not, the case,

I certainly wouldn’t want to fill the space

 My canvas with that type of music, it’s just noise   and crass

  I would rather pass,

  I much rather listen to classical music, or Jazz it’s so much better than the modern music today,

  I played Piano in high school, clarinet and flute     in    elementary school and Junior High,

I know, some people, Classical they would not    buy

Listening to Classical by Beethoven, Bach and Mozart, is relaxing, giving a peaceful easy feeling,

Is more soothing to the soul, and healing

 

 

My favorite songs tell a story   and have    lots of drums and guitar,

  And I loathe, when people blast   bad music in their car,

But if they are playing good tunes, I’ll sing    aloud 

Or attend a concert of one of my favorite musician or bands, sing, and dance be among the crowd,

More like crank the tunes on  my living room stereo, sing, dance and enjoy my time,

quite well,

Now, my music, it does sell,

  And   touch   hearts, and my spirit   it does lift,

  My favorite artists, have the gift,

 

To write    good lyrics    and bring life   to each,

My soul they reach,

I sing, my feet get happy, I begin to tap,

I start drumming on the table, my fingers I snap,

  I smile, laugh and project my voice,

It’s my choice,

In what I listen too, what I choose,

And, it certainly wouldn’t be, The blues,

Or hip hop,

 That, and rap, it really needs  to stop!

 

That, I should   not say what’s one man’s     trash, is another’s treasure,

  That, kind of music, doesn’t give me, pleasure,

But others   may dig   the Blues   or   heavy metal 

It’s just not, what I would listen to when I peddle,

On my bike and exercise, I’d rather sweat to the oldies and rock & roll,

 Dance in my living room, or even listen to singing bowls,

  By Dr.  Ganer, or listen to meditative tunes   like Dan Gibson   and Liquid Mind that lower blood pressure and stress,

  That, helps me to rest

 

The other night I was chatting with a good friend on the phone, music was playing in the background, and it was not good,

The tune   was, “Hey, there, Delilah “, I said, I could do better! I think I  could!

     The tune is bad and the lyrics poor,

It’s a dorkey song   with a few simple chords, not sure how it sold in the stores,

And online?

If I were to do songwriting, more interesting would be mine

 

How did this Guy get a record contract?

I think talent he does lack,

And all he sings about    missing his girlfriend, finishing school, his success and how they can be together   in 2 years

 When he is done,

The song isn’t even fun,

Too much repetition, no interesting musical    elements, I think not!

Yet, some, sing to it, enjoy the song, and the tune they sought,

Seek and play on YouTube and other sources   around,

But for me, it just, doesn’t have the right sound,

For my tastes,

Think it’s a waste,

  But to each his own,

That is something, I wouldn’t play, on Apple music on my   phone,

 

 It’s the same thing with Gwen Stefani, her song sweet Escape”  too,

I listen to her, hysterically laugh as I sing, woo hoo wee he, sweet escape! And say, this, I can do!

 

 

This is too long   and you I, may now bore

 So, I need to wrap this up, so not writing anymore,

This is my take on song   writing and music, for what it’s worth, hope you enjoyed what you read,

Now, time to get stuff done before bed,

Have a good night, hope you are all fine,

And return   back to my blog, another time,

You don’t know, what, here, you will see, or what I will say,

And that, could make   interesting   reading for your day

 

 

 

No comments: